Friday, September 11, 2015

Final pictures of the Grandma's House by Campbell

Joe Fugate told me about Trainmasters TV at National Train Show in Atlanta back in 2013. I have been curious about it ever since but I didn't become a subscriber because I didn't want to watch it on a computer. Few months ago I asked Trainmasters TV if they were planning on making an app for Roku and/or other stream devices. They told me that I could use cast screen feature of my smart phone to send the stream to my Roku and watch videos on a big screen. Unfortunately my Roku was too old so I spent few months debating myself whenever I should get a new one. If not for TMTVs summer sale most likely I would still be in the same state. Actually two things happened at the same time, TMTV summer sale and Roku discount for an upgrade, so I cracked and got new box and became TMTV subscriber for a year.
So far I have watched two episodes.  I found them to be a bit too heavy on real trains. While I don't mind learning about 1:1 scale I am more interested in smaller scales. It looks like later episodes  are more geared towards modeling so it is all good. What I am missing at the moment is a chair. I am watching my TV sitting on the floor still.
I have completion of another kit yet to report. This time is an oldie. It is the Grandma's House by Campbell. It wasn't an easy build. The kit was very old. I don't know if sugar pine is brittle by itself or it was the age of the kit but I had to re-glue several wall pieces back together. Also after making the base according to drawings I found that not all wall dimensions match the drawings. Since I didn't have base material left to start from the beginning I had to sweat a bit to get more less acceptable placement of the base relative to the rest of the structure. Well, it isn't finest piece of my work but given challenges I had to go through I feel like I did decent job.
The experience with the Grandma's House raises the question whenever it is worth buying any of the old Campbell kits. Perhaps not even new as well because I am not sure if new kits are being produced using the same die cutting process and if sugar pine is still being used. It is possible that I would be better off if I obtained just the drawings and built from scratch.











No comments:

Post a Comment